Current:Home > InvestJudge nixes bid to restrict Trump statements that could endanger officers in classified records case -Legacy Profit Partners
Judge nixes bid to restrict Trump statements that could endanger officers in classified records case
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-04 22:45:24
WASHINGTON (AP) — The judge overseeing Donald Trump’s classified documents case in Florida on Tuesday denied prosecutors’ request to bar the former president from making public statements that could endanger law enforcement agents participating in the prosecution.
U.S. District Judge Aileen Cannon said in her order that prosecutors on special counsel Jack Smith’s team didn’t give defense lawyers adequate time to discuss the request before it was filed Friday evening. She denied the request without prejudice, meaning prosecutors could file it again.
The request followed a distorted claim by Trump last week that the FBI agents who searched his Mar-a-Lago estate in August 2022 were “authorized to shoot me” and were “locked & loaded ready to take me out & put my family in danger.”
The presumptive Republican presidential nominee was referring to the disclosure in a court document that the FBI, during the search in Palm Beach, Florida, followed a standard use-of-force policy that prohibits the use of deadly force except when the officer conducting the search has a reasonable belief that the “subject of such force poses an imminent danger of death or serious physical injury to the officer or to another person.”
Prosecutors said in court papers late Friday that Trump’s statements falsely suggesting that federal agents “were complicit in a plot to assassinate him” expose law enforcement officers — some of whom prosecutors noted will be called as witnesses at his trial — “to the risk of threats, violence, and harassment.”
Defense attorneys in a court filing late Monday called prosecutors’ proposed restriction on Trump’s speech “unconstitutional” and noted that the names of law enforcement officers in the case are subject to a protective order preventing their public release. Defense attorneys said they asked Smith’s team on Friday if the two sides could meet on Monday before prosecutors submit their request to give the defense time to discuss it with Trump. They called prosecutors’ decision to file the motion Friday night “bad-faith behavior, plain and simple.”
Trump faces dozens of felony counts accusing him of illegally hoarding at his Mar-a-Lago estate classified documents that he took with him after he left the White House in 2021 and then obstructing the FBI’s efforts to get them back. He has pleaded not guilty and denied wrongdoing.
It’s among four criminal cases Trump is confronting as he seeks to reclaim the White House, but outside of the ongoing New York hush money prosecution, it’s unclear that any of the other three will reach trial before the November election. The decision came as defense lawyers were delivering their closing arguments in the hush money case.
Trump has already had restrictions placed on his speech in two of the other cases over incendiary comments officials say threaten the integrity of the prosecutions.
In the New York case, Trump has been fined and threatened with jail time for repeatedly violating a gag order that bars him from making public statements about witnesses, jurors and some others connected to the matter.
veryGood! (9)
Related
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- Biden and senators on verge of striking immigration deal aimed at clamping down on illegal border crossings
- Snoop Dogg has 'nothing but love' for former President Donald Trump after previous feud
- Islamic State claims responsibility for attack on Istanbul church that killed 1
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- International Holocaust Remembrance Day marks 79th anniversary of Auschwitz liberation
- Halle Bailey Fiercely Defends Decision to Keep Her Pregnancy Private
- Regional group says Venezuela’s move against opposition candidate ends possibility of free election
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- Ex-Philippines leader Duterte assails Marcos, accusing him of plotting to expand grip on power
Ranking
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- A secret shelf of banned books thrives in a Texas school, under the nose of censors
- Pauly Shore sued by man for alleged battery and assault at The Comedy Store club
- Pakistan Swiftie sets Guinness World Record for IDing most Taylor Swift songs in a minute
- Small twin
- West Brom and Wolves soccer game stopped because of crowd trouble. FA launches investigation
- New Beauty I'm Obsessed With This Month— Kylie Cosmetics, Covergirl, Saie, Rhode, Revlon, and More
- China is protesting interrogations and deportations of its students at US entry points
Recommendation
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Iran executes 4 men convicted of planning sabotage and alleged links with Israel’s Mossad spy agency
Scientists can tell how fast you're aging. Now, the trick is to slow it down
Britney Spears Shows Support for Justin Timberlake After Release of New Single
NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
Key points from AP analysis of Trump’s New York civil fraud case
A famed NYC museum is closing 2 Native American halls, and others have taken similar steps
Protesting farmers tighten squeeze on France’s government with ‘siege’ of Olympic host city Paris